Who We Are
Helping you build stronger organizations, communities, and legacies.
Who We Are
Knowledgeable and experienced attorneys committed to finding our clients the best solutions.
To serve and guide those that need us to provide solutions.
What We Do
We help you stay between the lines so you can focus on other responsibilites.
Jolley Law Group is a boutique law firm focusing on healthcare, business, estate planning and probate matters. We help providers, businesses, and families throughout South Carolina who trust us to help them achieve their vision and protect their future.
Kelly M. Jolley
Kelly founded Jolley Law Group, LLC in 2013 and began focusing on what she knows best, the health care industry. Kelly regularly counsels health care clients and technology vendors on corporate compliance standards, best practices and corporate governance matters, and on the potential collateral consequences of business decisions. When she’s not advising boards or helping board committees negotiate complex transactions, she serves as counsel to several healthcare and technology companies and associations.
- University of South Carolina School of Law
Graduated JD cum laude, 2004
- Articles Editor South Carolina Law Review; Order of the Coif
Phi Delta Phi; Order of the Wig and Robe
- University of South Carolina-Columbia
Graduated cum laude from the Honors College, 1998
- University Scholar
- Chi Omega; Mortar Board; Omicron Delta Kappa; Gamecock newspaper; Garnet and Black magazine
Kelly M. Jolley and Lindy L. Gunderson. Data Breach Liability and Notification: What Do You Need To Know? South Carolina Lawyer, 2015
Business Associates in the Post-Omnibus Rule World: Guidelines for HIPAA/HITECH Compliance
HIT News, 2014
Accountable Care Organizations: Quality, Cost and Risk.
American Health Lawyers Association Healthcare Liability & Litigation Newsletter, 2011
HIPAA, HITECH and EHRs: How Do Providers Protect Patient Privacy in the Era of Electronic Patient Records?
The Journal Of The South Carolina Medical Association, 2010
U.S. Government’s Prosecution of Alleged Stark Violations Under False Claims Act Results In Split Verdict
American Health Lawyers Association Healthcare Liability & Litigation Newsletter, 2010
Reliance on Professional Opinions, Fair Market Value Compensation, and Commercial Reasonability of Physician Contracts Prime Issues in U.S. Government’s Prosecution of Alleged Stark Law Violations.
Health Briefs E-newsletter, American Health Lawyers Association Liability And Litigation Practice Group, 2010
Two Bites at the Apple: Holding Physician Practices Directly Liable for Medical Malpractice.
Journal Of The American Medical Women’s Association, 2004
Simmons v. Tumor Regional Medical Center and Osbourne v. Adams: Expanding or Limiting Patients’ Access to Quality Care?
South Carolina Law Review, 2002
- South Carolina Women Lawyers Association
President (2016), President-Elect (2015), Treasurer (2014), Secretary (2013), Board of Directors (2008-Present), Sea Islands Regional Representative (2006-2009)
- South Carolina Bar Health Law Section Council
Past-Chair (2015), Chair (2013-2014), Chair-Elect (2012-2013), Council (2010-Present)
- American Health Lawyers Association
Health and Information Technology Practice Group, ACO Task Force, former Vice-Chair of Liability and Litigation Practice Group
- National Alliance for Mental Illness (NAMI)
Lowcountry Board of Directors (2014-Present)
- House of Delegates for the South Carolina Bar (2014)
- Hilton Head Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- American Bar Foundation
You can find Kelly at the upcoming events:
John M. Jolley
John has focused his practice on Estate Planning and Probate Administration law since 1998 and is certified by the South Carolina Supreme Court as a specialist in Estate Planning and Probate Administration. A Fellow of the American College of Trust and Estate Counsel (ACTEC), John advises individuals and business owners about estate and wealth transfer planning, tax, probate, and business planning issues.
John practiced in Richmond, Virginia and in Alexandria, Virginia before returning to South Carolina in the fall of 2000 and is licensed in both South Carolina and Virginia. He has called Hilton Hilton Head Island home since 2005, but continues to serve clients in both Hilton Head and Columbia.
Outside of the office, John a golfer, hunter, private pilot, parish volunteer, and active dad to four even busier children.
- J.D., University of South Carolina (1998)
- B.A., Government and International Studies, University of South Carolina (1994)
- South Carolina Bar
- Virginia State Bar Association
- Hilton Head Island Area Council of Estate and Financial Advisors
- Hilton Head Island Bar Association, Member and Past Chair
- South Carolina Bar, Professional Responsibility Committee, Past Chair
- South Carolina Bar, Probate Estate Planning and Trust Section, Former Chair and
- St. Francis By The Sea Catholic Church, Finance Council Member
- The Sandbox (a children’s interactive museum), Former Board Member
- Hilton Head Symphony Orchestra, Former Board Member
- St. Francis Catholic School (Hilton Head), Former School Advisory Council Member
- South Carolina State Chair and Fellow of the American College of Trust and Estate Counsel
- Readers’ Choice Awards, Hilton Head, SC/Bluffton, SC (2019)
- Best Lawyers in America, “Lawyer of the Year”, Trusts and Estates, Savannah, SC
- Best Lawyers in America (2016-2020)
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent© Peer Review Rating
- Certified as a Specialist in Estate Planning and Probate Administration by the South
Carolina Supreme Court
Ariail B. Kirk
Ariail is a healthcare litigator and experienced administrative lawyer. She has significant experience in the South Carolina Administrative Law Court and before state and federal regulatory agencies. Ariail’s regulatory background allows her to assist professionals and corporations in matters before the Board of Medical Examiners, the Board of Pharmacy, and other Boards under the purview of the South Carolina Department of Labor, Licensing, and Regulation and to advise and assist hospitals and other healthcare providers in their efforts to obtain regulatory approvals for new healthcare facilities and services. When she’s not in the courtroom, she’s spending time with her family and helping out in the community through a variety of Junior League projects.
- University of South Carolina Law School
- Clemson University
South Carolina Bar Health Law Section Council, Past Chair (2015-2016) and Section Delegate to the House of Delegates (2017)
American Health Lawyers Association
Derek M. Swindall
Derek focuses his practice on what he knows best: Tax, Estate Planning and Small Business. Originally from Chapin, South Carolina, Derek earned his B.A. in Accounting from Wofford College while also competing as a member of the Terriers football team. After attending law school at the University of South Carolina School of Law, Derek joined the United States Army and served as an Intelligence Officer. His Service took him across the United States and to Afghanistan in support of Operation Enduring Freedom. Derek left active duty in 2016 in order to be closer to family in the Carolinas and earned a Masters of Law (LL.M.) in Taxation from the University of Alabama School of Law.
Outside of the office, Derek enjoys brewing (and drinking) beer, cheering on the Gamecocks, and getting outdoors with his wife, Danielle, and their dogs, Bailey and Blue.
- L.L.M, Taxation, University of Alabama School of Law
- J.D., University of South Carolina
- B.A., Accounting, Wofford College
- South Carolina Bar
- Richland County Bar Association
- Columbia Estate Planning Council
- American Bar Associatio
- Board Member, Greater Columbia Community Relations Council
- CALI Award Federal Income Taxation
- CALI Award International Environmental Law
Hillary has spent her legal career litigating civil lawsuits in the courtrooms of South Carolina, particularly in the lowcountry. She focuses on general civil litigation, primarily business and probate disputes. Hillary’s background in litigation allows her to navigate contested matters from initial pleadings through trial. She also serves in an advisory role to our clients, handling pre-litigation disputes and counselling clients on the benefits and drawbacks of starting litigation. Hillary understands that not every matter needs to be tried, and she has significant experience mediating and finding a resolution for contested matters prior to trial.
When she’s not in the courtroom, Hillary enjoys spending time with her husband and young daughter, travelling, and serving her community through her church.
School of Law
- J.D., University of South Carolina Graduated cum laude, 2015
- Order of the Wig and Robe; Productions Editor Real Property, Trusts, and Estates Law Journal
- B.A., Clemson University Graduated cum laude, 2012
- Kappa Delta; Student Judicial Board
- South Carolina Bar
- South Carolina Women Lawyers Association
- Beaufort Bar Association
Hilton Head Bar Association
Beaufort Young Lawyers President 2016 – Present
- Admitted to practice in: United States District Court, District of South Carolina Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals
Super Lawyers’ Rising Star 2020, 2021
Erica P. Ellis
Erica focuses her practice on helping clients with estate planning, business planning and trust and probate administration. Since starting private practice in 2011, Erica has gained valuable experience in civil and domestic litigation, real estate, probate administration and estate planning. She enjoys getting to know her clients, their goals for their loved ones or business, and counseling them to simplify the legal process in creating a plan to give them peace of mind.
- University of South Carolina School of Law, 2010
- University of South Carolina- Columbia- 2007
- South Carolina Bar Association
- Hilton Head Island Bar Association
- South Carolina Women Lawyers’ Association
- CALI Award Criminal Procedure
- Moot Court Bar
Would you like to schedule a meeting?
Our experienced attorneys can find the solution best for YOU.